Ottawa will Implement a New TEER System to Express Entry
On July 27, 2022, the Government of Canada announced that it will switch to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC) on November 16, 2022.
The Government will replace the current NOC 2016 skill type and skill level structure with a 6-category representing the training, education, experience, and responsibilities (TEER system) required to work in an occupation. 4-digit occupation codes will also be replaced with 5-digit codes.
Join our newsletter and get up-to-date immigration news Click here.
Most jobs will stay in the same TEER category, while some jobs may change to a different TEER category. According to the update, skill level B jobs may become TEER 2 or TEER 3 jobs. For more information on the Express Entry Click here, this change means that occupations eligible under Express Entry will be included in TEERs 0 to 3. Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) are now preparing updates to the system to reflect the changes.
What are the New TEER Categories?
Programs that used the National Occupational Classification skill type or levels will now use as a new TEER category following.
- Most of the jobs will stay in the TEER category which is equal to the skill level in the table below.
- Many jobs may change to a different TEER category.
- Skill level B jobs may become TEER 2 or TEER 3 jobs.
- Find your occupation under the National Occupational Classification 2021 list to find out what TEER category it belongs to.
|Skill type or level||TEER category|
|Skill type 0||TEER 0|
|Skill level A||TEER 1|
|Skill level B||TEER 2 and TEER 3|
|Skill level C||TEER 4|
|Skill level D||TEER 5|
Which Programs Will be Affected?
Those programs will have updated eligibility requirements because of this new change:
- Express Entry
- Atlantic Immigration Program
- Provincial Nominee Program
- caregivers programs
- Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot
- Agri-Food Pilot
- out-of-status construction workers
- Temporary Foreign Worker Program
- International Mobility Program
To know more details about the new TEER system to Express Entry you can contact one of our immigration specialists at Gunness & Associates.
Tel: (416) 604-2669
All rights reserved ©2022 Gunness & Associates