IRCC announced a new update for Student Direct Stream applications
On August 30, 2023, the Canadian Government updated the eligibility requirements for the Student Direct Stream (SDS) language test results. The new requirements align with the Ministerial Instructions effective August 10, 2023.
The Government will accept additional academic tests from designated organizations and another test from a non-designated organization.
The update clarifies that banks may disburse the remaining funds of a guaranteed investment certificate (GIC) in any accepted arrangement with an applicant after the initial disbursement upon arrival in Canada. Although the Government recommended disbursing GIC funds in monthly or bimonthly installments, this does not affect an applicant’s SDS eligibility.
What are the criteria for a guaranteed investment certificate (GIC)?
The GIC must fulfill the following requirements:
- The bank gives the applicant a letter of attestation, the GIC certificate, the confirmation of the investment directions, or the confirmation of the investment balance after the GIC has been purchased.
- The applicant cannot access the funds until they arrive in Canada because the bank has an inaccessible investment account or a student account.
- Before delivering funds to the recipient of a study permit, the bank must verify the client’s identification upon admission into Canada.
- After the bank has confirmed the applicant’s identification, they are given their first disbursement. It is advised that the remaining money be distributed over a period of 10 to 12 months in monthly or biweekly installments.
To get started, anybody interested in studying internationally in Canada is invited to take a free assessment.
What is the Canada Student Direct Stream?
You could be able to get your study permit through the Student Direct Stream (SDS) easier depending on where you live. The majority of SDS applications are processed in 20 calendar days or less. Some applications, though, can take longer.
- You must provide your biometrics as soon as possible, and
- complete all qualifying conditions in order to receive quicker processing.
A study permit isn’t the same as a visa and does not entitle you to travel to or enter Canada on its own. You could additionally require an electronic travel authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa. If you do, your study permit will be granted along with your eTA or visit visa.
Which Countries are eligible for Student Direct Stream?
For those seeking to apply to study in Canada at a postsecondary designated learning institution (DLI), the Student Direct Stream (SDS) is a system that speeds up the study permit application process. Legal residents who live in the following countries may use the SDS:
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Costa Rica
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- Trinidad and Tobago
Want to know more details about “IRCC announced a new update for Student Direct Stream applications” you can contact one of our immigration specialists at Gunness & Associates.
Tel: (416) 604-2669
Gunness & Associates has helped thousands of people successfully immigrate to Canada with their families. Our skilled and experienced immigration experts have the expertise to accurately examine your case and advise you on the best method of proceeding to best serve your needs.
For honest and straightforward advice, contact the experts
Get a free Assessment
Join our newsletter and get up-to-date immigration news Click here
All rights reserved ©2023 Gunness & Associates