Canada Welcomes Record Immigrants from Hong Kong
Canada Welcomes Record Immigrants from Hong Kong According to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), a record number of 12,484 open work permits were issued to Hong Kong residents from March 2017 through June 2022. Last year, the Government of Canada introduced two new pathways for Hong Kongers to immigrate to Canada: one for students and one for professionals.
The overwhelming majority of applicants were young and middle-aged people. About 90% of those who received open work permits were under 40 years old, while 9% were over 41 years old.
Get a free Assessment
You may be eligible for 2 streams. There are 2 streams that you can apply for permanent residency following:
- Stream A: In-Canada graduates
- Stream B: Canadian work experience
This public policy has been effected from June 1, 2021, and will be ended on August 31, 2026.
Why did Immigrants from Hong Kong Choose Canada?
- With numerous Hong Kong residents continuing to cast their eyes abroad, Canada wants them to choose Canada to study, work and settle.
- In early 2021, Canada put in place special immigration measures that go beyond Canada’s existing immigration programs that are available to Hong Kong residents.
- The Department has put in place a measure to allow eligible Hong Kong residents in or outside Canada with recently completed post-secondary studies to apply for an open work permit, enabling individuals to work in any province in Canada for a period of up to three years.
- In addition, Canada put in place two new pathways to permanent residence, providing eligible Hong Kong residents in Canada with the opportunity to build their life here if they so choose.
- The Government of Canada has also increased the promotion and processing efforts and measures have been put in place to help ensure that Canadians and Canadian permanent residents living in Hong Kong have the support they need to come home at any time.
Join our newsletter and get up-to-date immigration news Click here.
Requirement for Permanent Residence Pathways for Hong Kong Residents
- Language test: You have to provide a copy of your language test results that shows you have a level 5 score in all 4 skills following
- listening and
- Intent to live in a province or territory other than Quebec
- Post-secondary education: If you want to apply for stream A or stream B. You have to provide a copy of your diploma or degree and your final transcripts.
To know more details about the Immigrants from Hong Kong, you can contact one of our immigration specialists
at Gunness & Associates.
Tel: (416) 604-2669
All rights reserved ©2022 Gunness & Associate