Canada welcomed about 2,500 Afghan refugees
On November 28, 2023, the Canadian government made an update regarding the Afghan refugees arriving in the country. The last update shows Canada has accepted 2,490 Afghan refugees since October 30, 2023.
As of now, Canada has welcomed a total of 42,905 Afghan refugees. Canada received 20,445 Afghans and their families’ applications under the Special Immigration Measures Program for Afghans who had assisted the Government of Canada in Afghanistan.
12,645 Afghans arrived in Canada under that program, and 21,635 Afghan nationals came under the Humanitarian program. In addition, Canada admitted 2,855 applicants under the pathway for extended family members of former interpreters.
The Special Immigration Measures Program intends to admit 18,000 people to Canada.
To be eligible for the Special Immigration Measures Program, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- You are an Afghan citizen.
- Your employment involved a significant and/or long-term relationship with the Government of Canada, which could include interpreters who worked with the Canadian Armed Forces or local staff who currently or previously worked at the Canadian Embassy in Afghanistan.
- You or a member of your family were in Afghanistan on or after July 22, 2021 (the start date of this special program).
- You are not eligible for this program if you leave Afghanistan before July 22, 2021.
- You are not prohibited from entering Canada.
Want to know more details about “Canada welcomed about 2,500 Afghan refugees” you can contact one of our immigration specialists at Gunness & Associates.
Tel: (416) 604-2669
Gunness & Associates has helped thousands of people successfully immigrate to Canada with their families. Our skilled and experienced immigration experts have the expertise to accurately examine your case and advise you on the best method of proceeding to best serve your needs.
For honest and straightforward advice, contact the experts
Get a free Assessment
Join our newsletter and get up-to-date immigration news Click here
All rights reserved ©2023 Gunness & Associates